How do I sign up for a Basic RiderCourse or Experienced RiderCourse?
How old do I have to be to take the course?
What if I want to take the course with a friend?
Can I register over the telephone?
What do I need to do to pass the course?
COURSE MATERIALS & PLANNING
Where are classes held?
What should I bring with me?
What materials will you provide?
Do I need a motorcycle to take the course?
What kind of motorcycle will I use during the course?
Should I bring my own helmet or do you have one I can use?
Do I need to have motorcycle gloves?
If I have class on Friday evening, what do I bring?
How long will class be?
What if it rains?
What do I do about lunch?
Who will be teaching this course?
Please be aware that courses do fill quickly on a “first come, first served” basis. There are a limited number of spaces available in each class. We are not able to reserve class slots without a tuition payment. Therefore, it is important that you select TWO dates that you can attend.
- Submit your completed registration form and payment by calling and registering in person with a representative. This is the preferred method which makes enrolling timely and easy for you. You may also register online or by snail mail.
- Submit a legible copy of your motorcycle learner’s permit at least two weeks before your class begins by fax or email.
- When we receive your registration and tuition, we will mail you a confirmation letter* indicating the date, time and location of your class. All class sessions are held in Westfield, Massachusetts.
*Note: Your registration is not confirmed for any course until you receive your confirmation letter.
**For all other courses, please call us at 413-525-0049 to register or for more information.
You must be 16 years old to attend the classes. Upon receiving your motorcycle permit, you can take the RiderCourse and receive a licensing waiver. However, if you are under the age of 18 you will need to have a parent/guardian complete and sign a waiver form. Two waiver forms will be mailed to you with your confirmation letter. Both forms must be completed. One must be returned to this office before you attend class and the other must be brought with you to the first classroom session. Failure to bring a completed waiver form signed by a parent/guardian with you will result in being unable to participate in range activities.
When two or more people wish to take the course together we ask that you call our office at (413)525-0049 and schedule your class with a representative. This way, we can ensure that everyone from your party will be in the same class and group.
YES! To register over the phone with your credit card, call us at (413)525-0049. This is the easiest way to register for the course and have all your questions answered and all the details explained to you as you register.
Not sure when you want to take class? Click here to view the upcoming schedule!
In order to obtain a completion card and be eligible for motorcycle licensing through Pioneer Valley Rider Training, students must do the following:
- Attend all classroom and riding sessions
- Pass a written evaluation and a riding evaluation at the end of the course.
- Have a valid Massachusetts motorcycle permit that does not expire within 14 days of course completion.
COURSE MATERIALS & PLANNING
Our comfortable, student friendly classroom is located at:
The Hampton Pond’s Plaza
1029 North Road
Westfield, MA 01085
ALL PORTIONS OF THE MOTORCYCLE SAFETY COURSE ARE HELD IN WESTFIELD,, MASSACHUSSETTS.
Pioneer Valley Rider Training will provide the following materials:
- Motorcycles: Honda Nighthawk 250s and Honda Rebels
- Helmets: Available if you don’t own a DOT approved helmet
- Class materials: Student workbooks, pens, highlighters and note paper
- MSF Certified Instruction:
BRC: 5 hours in the classroom, 10 hours riding
ERC: 6 hours riding & group discussion
For the riding portion of your course, bring the following:
- A DOT approved helmet (if you own one)
- Sturdy, over the ankle footwear
- Full-fingered gloves, preferable leather, or motorcycle riding gloves
- Eye protection: face shield, eye glasses or sunglasses
- Long sleeve jersey shirt or jacket
- Heavy pants (jeans are fine)
- Rain gear as needed
- Sunblock as needed
- Lunch, snacks and plenty of water, juice or sport drinks
- If you are under the age of 18, you will need a waiver signed by your parent/guardian
- A valid Massachusetts license or ID, or if you are a resident of a state other than Massachusetts, your state ID.
NOTE: The items listed above in bold are required for all on-cycle sessions of the RiderCourse. You will not be able to ride (and therefore be dismissed) if you do not bring the required gear.
We provide all motorcycles for students in the Basic RiderCourse. If you are taking the Experienced Rider Course you will need to bring your own motorcycle, fully insured and inspected.
The motorcycles used in the Basic RiderCourse are Honda Nighthawk 250s and the Honda Rebel.
We recommend that you bring your own DOT approved helmet with you to ensure a better fit. We also recommend that your helmet be a full coverage or 3/4 coverage style helmet. If you do not own a DOT approved helmet, we have loaner helmets at the site that you may use during the course.
You need to bring full-fingered gloves; they do not have to be motorcycle gloves, however, riding gloves are more condusive for your comfort.
Friday evening is classroom only. You do not need to bring your riding gear. However, if you have a question about your gear, please bring the item with you and the Instructor will answer any question you may have about your gear. You should bring a pen or pencil for note taking.
- Basic Rider Course
10 hours of riding exercise & 5 hours of classroom/group discussion
- Experienced Rider Course
6 hours of riding exercise & group discussion
The course runs rain or shine. Pioneer Valley highly suggests that you come prepared for rain, especially if the weather indicates. Consider both a waterproof jacket and pants.
Please be aware that there are no facilities on site for the purchase of food or beverages. Therefore, bring your lunch and plenty of water, juice, sports drinks and snacks. You may bring a cooler and will be able to keep your food and beverages nearby. You will have your vehicle with you at all times.
All classroom and riding sessions are taught by RiderCoaches who are certified by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) and endorsed by the Massachusetts Rider Education Program (MREP).
Prior to taking & passing the RiderCourse, you must do the following:
- File a copy of your valid motorcycle learner’s permit with Pioneer Valley Rider Training. Your permit must not expire for at least two weeks after course completion.
- Pre-pay your licensing fee to the Registry of Motor Vehicles before you attend the course (see below.)
After you pass your course, Pioneer Valley Rider Training will process your course completion status through the Registry of Motor Vehicles. In turn, the Registry will mail you a new license with both your existing endorsements as well as the new motorcycle endorsement on it or a only license. You do not have to go back to Registry to get your license, it will be mailed directly to your home.
Please be aware that your license will only be mailed if you have pre-paid your licensing fee.(see next question)
Pre-payments to the Registry should be made when you take your permit test at the Registry or by visiting their website at MassRMV.com. and paying by credit card. When pre-paying be sure that the Registry has your proper mailing address as they will be mailing your license to you.
Pre-pay for your license before you attend the RiderCourse.
- Motorcycle endorsement fee on an existing license: $15.00
- Motorcycle only license endorsement fee: $40.00