How do I sign up for a Basic RiderCourse or Experienced RiderCourse?
How old do I have to be to take the course?
What if I want to take the course with a friend?
Can I register over the telephone?
What do I need to do to pass the course?
COURSE MATERIALS & PLANNING
Where are classes held?
What should I bring with me?
What materials will you provide?
Do I need a motorcycle to take the course?
What kind of motorcycle will I use during the course?
Should I bring my own helmet or do you have one I can use?
Do I need to have motorcycle gloves?
If I have class on Friday evening, what do I bring?
How long will class be?
What if it rains?
What do I do about lunch?
Who will be teaching this course?
Please be aware that courses do fill quickly on a “first come, first served” basis. There are a limited number of spaces available in each class. We are not able to reserve class slots without a tuition payment. Therefore, it is important that you select TWO dates that you can attend.
- Submit your completed registration form and payment, either online or by snail mail.
- Submit a legible copy of your motorcycle learner’s permit (if you have it) at least two weeks before your class begins
- When we receive your registration and tuition, we will mail you a confirmation letter* indicating the date, time and location of your class.
*Note: Your registration is not confirmed for any course until you receive this confirmation letter.
**For all other courses, please call us at 413-525-0049 to register or for more information.
Upon receiving your motorcycle permit, you can take the RiderCourse. However, if you are under the age of 18 you will need to have a parent/guardian complete and sign a waiver form. Two waiver forms will be mailed to you with your confirmation letter. Both forms must be completed. One must be returned to this office before you attend class and the other must be brought with you to the first classroom session.
When two or more people wish to take the course together we ask that you call our office at (413)525-0049. This way, we can ensure that everyone from your party will be in the same class and group.
YES! To register over the phone with your credit card, call us at (413)525-0049.
Not sure when you want to take class? Click here to view the upcoming schedule!
In order to obtain a completion card and be eligible for a motorcycle license through Pioneer Valley Motorcycle Training, students must do the following:
- Attend all classroom and riding sessions
- Pass a written evaluation and a riding evaluation at the end of the course.
COURSE MATERIALS & PLANNING
Our state-of-the-art classroom is located at:
1029 North Road
Westfield, MA 01085
Pioneer Valley Rider Training will provide the following materials:
- Motorcycles: Honda Nighthawk 250s and Suzuki GZ 250s
- Helmets: Available if you don’t own a DOT approved helmet
- Class materials: Student workbooks, pens, highlighters and note paper
BRC: 5 hours in the classroom, 10 hours riding
ERC: 6 hours riding & group discussion
For the riding portion of your course, bring the following:
- A DOT approved helmet (if you own one)
- Sturdy, over the ankle footwear
- Full-fingered leather gloves
- Eye protection: face shield, eye glasses or sunglasses
- Long sleeve jersey shirt or jacket
- Heavy pants (jeans are fine)
- Rain gear
- Lunch, snacks and plenty of water, juice or sport drinks
- If you are under the age of 18, you will need a waiver signed by your parent/guardian
NOTE: The items listed above in bold are required for all on-cycle sessions of the RiderCourse. You will not be able to ride (and therefore be dismissed) if you do not bring the required gear.
We provide all motorcycles for students in the Basic RiderCourse.
The motorcycles used in the Basic RiderCourse are Honda Nighthawk 250s and Suzuki GZ250s.
We recommend that you bring your own DOT approved helmet with you to ensure a better fit. We also recommend that your helmet be a full coverage or 3/4 coverage style helmet. If you do not own a DOT approved helmet, we have loaner helmets at the site that you may use during the course.
You need to bring full-fingered, leather gloves; they do not have to be motorcycle gloves.
Friday evening is classroom only. You do not need to bring your riding gear. However, if you have a question about your gear, please bring the item with you and the Instructor will answer your question. You should bring a pen or pencil for note taking.
- Basic Rider Course
10 hours of riding exercise & 5 hours of group discussion
- Experienced Rider Course
6 hours of riding exercise & group discussion
The course runs rain or shine. Pioneer Valley highly suggests that you come prepared for rain, especially if the weather indicates. Consider both a waterproof jacket and pants.
Please be aware that there are no facilities on site for the purchase of food or beverages. Therefore, bring your lunch and plenty of water, juice, sports drinks and snacks. You may bring a cooler and will be able to keep your food and beverages nearby.
All classroom and riding sessions are taught by RiderCoaches who are certified by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) and endorsed by the Massachusetts Rider Education Program (MREP)
Prior to taking & passing the RiderCourse, you must do the following:
- File a copy of your valid motorcycle learner’s permit with Pioneer Valley Rider Training. Your permit must not expire for at least two weeks after course completion.
- Pre-pay your licensing fee to the Registry of Motor Vehicles before you attend the course (see below.)
After you pass your course, Pioneer Valley Rider Training will process your course completion status through the Registry of Motor Vehicles. In turn, the Registry will mail to you a motorcycle endorsement on your existing license or a motorcycle only license. You do not have to go back to Registry to get your license.
Please be aware that your license will only be mailed if you have pre-paid your licensing fee.(see next question)
Pre-payments to the Registry should be made via credit card by calling 1-857-368-8000. When pre-paying be sure that the Registry has your proper mailing address as they will be mailing your license to you.
Pre-pay for your license before you attend the RiderCourse.
- Endorsement on an existing license: $15.00 fee
- Motorcycle only license: $40.00 fee